Sunday 27 June 2010

Over the Rainbow - Seattle Pride 2010

I've been doing a lot of complaining recently about how I'm not behind what the Pride celebration has become. I love my gay friends and am completely supportive of them and the celebration of being out and proud. But when did Pride weekend go from the ideals of commemorating Stonewall, to the gay version of spring break in Cabo? It seems wrong.

However, in support of my friends, I committed to two Pride events this year, both at Changes: Saturday night just to hang out, and Sunday karaoke. When I got to the bar last night, I was grumpy and disinterested in whatever debauchery might be happening, but then it hit me: I was surrounded by my friends, people I truly loved, and my being cranky and going home early wasn't doing anything for anyone. If a big drunken party was how my friends wanted to celebrate their gay pride, then I was in.

When in Gay Cabo, do as the Spring Breakers do.
And Taste the Rainbow was born.

Marshall was having trouble deciding what to drink, so he had this idea that he'd try one cocktail in each color of the rainbow. He didn't want to do it alone, so I agreed to join him, and later we recruited Kelly and Jordan too. We left it to our cute and capable bartenders to determine what the rainbow of booze would be.


Here's what Ryan and Seth came up with:

Red - Pomegranate press with a splash of cranberry
Orange - Strawberry vodka with orange juice and grenadine
Yellow - Lemon drop
Green - Melon ball
Blue - Pomegranate/Blueberry press with a splash of blue curacao
Purple - Vodka press with a splash of rasperry liqueur

Not only did it make the night much, much more fun than just sipping vodka and chatting, it's a great new Pride tradition. And it's kind of brilliant. Imagine if every bar had a Taste the Rainbow special for Pride Weekend! Marshall and I made a drunken pact to get together every year at Pride to drink the rainbow, no matter where we are in the country. Typically drunken pacts are broken by last call, but maybe this time, just maybe, there's some hope.


There's still one more day of Pride left, so I encourage y'all to go Taste the Rainbow before the weekend is through. Happy Pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment