Friday 4 June 2010

Oslo Exit

Well, it's my final few minutes in Oslo, and the place has finally grown on me. It's rare that I get spooked by a location, but this neighborhood did it, so I didn't wander again after dinner last night. Instead I got up early to see some more before I have to check out and catch my train, and before the bad seeds get out of bed. Apparently my free hotel innernets access has run out, though, so this won't be posted until who knows when.

Because I didn't have any particular agenda, I just went walking around to see what I came across. That meant that I missed most of the city, and although I'm near the harbor, I didn't have time to catch the ferry and see all the cool viking stuff across the water. I guess if I ever get WAY richer, I'll have to come spend a few days here and see more. Right now, the cost is prohibitive, though, and I'd rather get to spend more time in several places than blow the same amount on 3 days here.

It's interesting how matter of fact and do-it-yourself the Nords seem to be; they'll just tell you "there's coffee over there" or "[the historical site you're looking for] is that direction, you can't miss it," and then go back to their own business. Self-sufficiency, I like it! This is also related to my favorite English translation from the hotel, which is this single context-free sentence, nestled between the minibar prices and a plug for the spa:

You are welcome to make your own waffles in the afternoon from 3 pm to 6 pm.

Why, thank you! I've always wanted to make my own waffles in the afternoon, but until now, I'd never been given permission. What amuses me is that there's no information about where, or how, or what's involved, just a simple statement that you can make some waffles, if you're so inclined.

Another excellent Scandinavian discovery: Pomegranate Cider. It's just a smidge sweet, but it's still fantastic. Apparently it's actually from Sweden, so I'll have 2 more days to investigate this one. Although thanks to the educational video Full like a Kastrull, I know that Sweden has strict laws around alcohol, and I may have trouble purchasing it. I hope I can get my hands on some more - I love it!

But for now, it's time now to finish my coffee, shut down the laptop, and hit the road, since I have a 4 hour train ride ahead of me. Hope to have wi-fi again soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment