Wednesday 15 May 2013

A Very Long Distance Relationship

Yes, it's true. The commitment-phobe who has spent nearly a decade avoiding calling anyone her boyfriend is now completely happily in a relationship. With a Scotsman. Who lives in Scotland.

Not only have I avoided relationships since my divorce, I've made it very clear that I don't do long distance. All talking and no sex? What's the point of that? I remember a few years back when a friend was going on and on about his long distance girlfriend, who he'd met over the internet machine. "It's true love," he said, "She's moving here so we can be together." I laughed. I told him that was utter insanity, an adolescent fantasy, nothing that could ever possibly work out.

But here I am, ready to move halfway around the world after only a few months. Because, as Harry says in When Harry Met Sally, "When you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

How did it happen? Twitter, Aberdeen football, a mutual friend called Calum... just a lot of tiny decisions in both our lives that brought Jody and I together. He believes in The One, all things happening for a reason, and that we just had to find each other. I think everyone gets one great love of their life -- be that a person, an activity, a thing -- and I'm incredibly lucky to have found mine by coincidence and social media.

So how does it work? Lots of Skype, mostly. And British Airways. A week ago yesterday, I was on a plane back from spending a few days in Edinburgh with Jody -- a visit that only confirmed that I need to be living there, getting on with our life together.

That's why I've had a complete lack of bitterness lately, why I've been smiling all the time, and listening to sappy songs, and why my friends keep threatening to shoot down all the cartoon bluebirds that currently surround me. In spite of the huge distance, this is the best relationship I've ever had, the happiest I've ever been.

So I have nothing snarky to end this with. Just a big goofy grin and a hope that this happens for everyone I know, because it's awesome.


1 comment: