Tuesday 1 June 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. And Amsterdam.

After a bus back to the airport, three hours on a plane, a train ride, and a brief walk, I'm finally on the second leg of my trip.

Amsterdam is by far the craziest city I've ever been to. The airport is a zoo, the train station is chaotic, and the streets? Well. The sidewalks aren't much around the canals, so you find yourself walking down the middle of narrow brick streets, dodging cars, scooters, and motorcycles. And whether there are sidewalks or not, you're constantly contending with tons of maniacs on bicycles. So far all I've done is wander the canals and get a bite to eat, and I've already almost been run down a few times.

Oddly, though, I think I could like it here... if I ever got used to the insanity.

For now, though, cramped seats and constant walking have my joints in pain, so I've come back my hotel room for a brief respite. The place I'm staying is called Chic and Basic, but it's definitely more basic than chic. Luckily I always book double rooms, even when traveling alone, so I at least have a bit of space to open my suitcase and still take 2-3 steps in either direction. I think the chic part of room lies in the modular Ikea furniture, and the fact that this is the headboard of my bed:


Creepy, no? I hope it doesn't give me bad dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment