Saturday 3 July 2010

The Open Road

I just got home and poured a glass of wine, after being away from Seattle for a total of 28.5 hours and 566 miles, and I'm in my best spirits since I boarded the plane to leave Copenhagen. I love me a road trip.

Even though I constantly struggle to understand how my relatives and I all sprang from the same gene pool, I agreed (translation: was coerced and bribed) to go to a family reunion this weekend. That involved driving down to Vancouver, Washington, last night, then continuing another hour South to Woodburn, Oregon, this morning.

After spending about 3 hours making small talk with relatives whose names I can barely remember, and eating various "salads" containing mayonnaise, I set back out on the highway, headed for home. But by the time I hit Portland, I realized something: it was a beautiful day out, I was cranky, and I really didn't want to come back to Seattle.

I thought to myself, I have about 6 hours of remaining daylight, and a full tank of gas... well, let's see what's shakin' in the Gorge!

I got on Hwy 14 eastbound (also known as The Washington Side), which is a narrow winding road with various low speed limits, just because it's pretty. It was a completely arbitrary decision, and I really had no destination. After an hour or two, I stopped in Bingen, and it occurred to me that I had to either turn back or continue east and zig-zag my way back up across Central Washington. I chose the former, crossed the Hood River bridge, headed back west on I-84 (The Oregon Side, because it's a much faster large highway), and rejoined my original path only a few miles from where I had left it.

And now I'm happy. Extremely happy. All I did for most of my day was drive, sing along to various CDs, and look at scenery. On the way east, I stopped off at Beacon Rock State Park to stretch my legs and use the public bathroom; on the way back, it was Multnomah Falls. That was enough.

I really like to drive, and to get away from the usual sights, especially when there's little traffic and the route is beautiful. It's even better when it happens on a whim. Today had all of these elements. I need to do it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment