Saturday 31 July 2010

Downtown Toronto

I didn't do much yesterday, given that I was sleep-deprived enough to have gotten easily lost and confused. However, I did spend the day wandering around downtown Toronto, getting the lay of the land, and checking out what I can get to until I take the rental car back from the valet tomorrow. Based on that, I now know exactly what I want to do today. Unfortunately, the moment I plopped down in front of the TV last night, I crashed out and slept for over 12 hours. So now I'm just caffeinating and trying to run out the door with enough time to see a few things today.

Not much of note from yesterday. I walked by CBC studios and briefly considered hanging around to stalk my boyfriend George Stroumboulopoulos, or trying to create enough havoc outside that they'd make an episode of the The Fifth Estate about me. But then I remembered that getting arrested will kill my chances of moving back to this fine country, so I moved on. I do love that network.

That leads me to my other key thought so far: I miss Canada. I really, really miss Canada. Part of it is that I really prefer living in a big city to a small-time well, it's the biggest one we got around here city. I loved Vancouver, which is roughly 5x the size of Seattle, and while it's kind of the same cultural vibe, it still feels very different. Toronto is the same way: east-coast big city, Canadian style. I'm having trouble getting past the nostalgia to judge this town realistically, if I'm honest. Every time I see a Chapters or Tim Hortons, every time I turn on the TV to find CityTV or TSN, I get a little jump inside. When I lived in Vancouver, my personal life was in a shambles, but I was happy with my surroundings. Now in Seattle, it's the opposite. I guess a girl can never be happy.

My point is, I'm having a blast, even doing nothing. Just because I'm here. And now I need to go enjoy more of it.

O Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment