Thursday 28 January 2010

Paradise

I woke up at 3:00 this morning, after sleeping less than 4 hours, and headed to the airport. My first flight landed in Denver, where I had just enough time to get to the gate for boarding on Flight Number 2, which then spent 30 minutes sitting at the terminal having minor repairs before finally taking off toward Cancun. Four hours later, I touched ground, and spent over an hour getting through the neverending lines for immigration, baggage, and customs. From there I spent an hour in a van with the 3 friendliest Minneapolis residents in history, to finally reach my hotel -- a gorgeous complex set amongst a forest of palm trees in the upscale gated community of Playacar.

Thirteen hours and two time zones later, I have arrived. It is warm and breezy here, even now in the darkness of the evening. My room is spacious and fully stocked with liquor, and the balcony looks out on a courtyard under a clear sky, bursting with stars. Relaxing on the terrace with my shoes off, I quickly spotted several bats overhead, and watched an unidentified opossum-like animal scurry past.

I truly am in a Mexican Paradise. But after the day I've had, all I want to do is drink a beer and go to bed.

What a waste. Oh, the humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment