Wednesday 20 January 2010

Haiti

I will be the first to admit that I am more self-absorbed than the average person. I'm probably more self-absorbed than the average stadium full of people. But that won't stop me from taking part in a bake sale to benefit Haiti's recovery.

No, seriously. I'm making mini cupcakes.

Typically I'm too cynical to give money to most charities. I give stuff that they can use, because it's more likely to end up with those in need, unlike cash which could go anywhere. That goes double for the Red Cross, because I've listened to my 92 year old grandfather gripe about them endlessly. He's still harboring a grudge over the way they treated him during WWII. But to be fair, listening to the story, he's got a point.

However, every aid organization in Haiti is saying the same thing: Money is the only useful donation in this situation. So in this case, I'm going to say principles be damned, and give money to the Red Cross. Please do the same.

There are so many options. You could click on the big button at left.

Oh, filling out an online form too hard? Then text HAITI to 90999, and $10 will automatically be charged to your phone bill and given to the Red Cross relief effort.

Don't like pushing buttons? Until February 18th, you can go to your local Starbucks and donate at the register when you get your triple latte.

It's so easy, how could you not?

No comments:

Post a Comment