Saturday 30 January 2010

Caribbean Bliss

As a big fan of How I Met Your Mother, I am reminded of the episode where Robin came back from Argentina, covered in sand and with a whole new hassle-free attitude on life. Because I get it now.

I spent the bulk of my day today lounging -- by the pool, and even better, by the sea. I'm a person whose mind is always running. I never quite relax, because I always have to be doing something; I never just sit and be there. Today, I got past all of that. Sitting in a chair under the shade of a palm tree, looking out over the water, I finally found it. I put down my book and was just there, feeling the breeze and appreciating the splendor before me.

When the sun started going down, I packed up my beach tote to start the walk back to the hotel... and then lingered a few minutes more, taking it all in. As I turned my back to the beach, I felt a pang of sadness that I may never see it again. I may never be that calm again.

You see, for my last day tomorrow I'm paying an exorbitant price to go out to the ancient Mayan city of Coba. The trip also includes activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, and riding a zip line off of a cliff. When I mentioned that this portion of the trip didn't interest me, the tour man said, "Ess no mandatory. You mebbe jess do lill hiking!" While I am excited to see the ruins and get away from the resort for a day, another part of me just wants to go back to the beach. That part of me wants to live at the beach, despite the gallons of sunscreen I have to slather on every morning, and the special pyramid shape my hair takes in this humidity.

Yeah. The feeling of calm really is that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment