Saturday 30 January 2010

Restaurante Jalisco

After two and a half days of eating resort buffets, I've learned one thing: stick to the Mexican food. Although they offer all manner of international cuisine, the Mexican selection is by far the best. While I'm sure it's mediocre for Mexico, it's scores better than anything I've ever had in Washington state.

Although dinner is served buffet-style, the restaurant still gives you a server to fill your drinks and clear plates. Tonight, mine was an adorable young man named Rangel. I know I'm getting old, because to me he looked about 17, and I'm sure he was much older. Anyway, when he first offered me wine and found out I was alone, he let out a sad little "aww" as he walked away.

He must've thought I needed company, because when he came back, he asked where I was from.
"Seattle."
"Where?"
"Um, the States."
"America! In spanish, Estados-Unidos. In English, United States. Gringolandia."
This made me laugh, which seemed to please him.

A few minutes later a large group was seated in the vicinity, who was celebrating some occasion that required Rangel to open 3 bottles of champagne for them. Two of the bottles refused to uncork, so he and his fellow staffer spent several minutes attempting to pull the cork from each bottle, using various methods. I and all the surrounding tables found this amusing as hell. When Rangel came back to apologize for neglecting me, I said I was totally fine, and was having fun watching the show.

He was mildly embarassed and wandered off. I wished I had a few pesos to tip him for giving me a fun Mexico story, but alas, I'd brought nothing but my room key with me to dinner.

Still, it's a reminder. Some of the best vacations are exactly the opposite of what you expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment