Friday 23 September 2011

Wellington Regional Stadium - USA vs Australia

I've never been one to cheer for the United States in international sporting competitions. I haven't always been the biggest fan of the country of my citizenship, nor felt much affinity for Americans.

At tonight's rugby match, where the USA Eagles played Australia's Wallaby squad, I sang the Star Spangled Banner for the first time since... I don't know, grade school? I waved the American flag like a mad woman. I chanted USA! USA! USA! until I nearly lost my voice.

And I really, really meant it.

But I think maybe I meant it like the New Zealanders meant it.

These guys = Kiwis
There are a few rugby fans in the States, aside from me, and many of them were at the game tonight. Some were, like my Single Serving Friend next to me, expats showing support for their former nation. But most of the US supporters tonight were Kiwis painted in red, white and blue, and dressed up as everything from superheroes to cheerleaders to the Statue of Liberty. They didn't do it because they want or expect the Eagles to win, they just truly adore cheering against Australia.

And my cheers weren't particularly based on love of the USA or pride in being American either. I was shouting and flag-waving as a sports fan. The Eagles are my team. I was supporting them, just like I do for UW's football team, or the Montreal Canadiens.
 
In the end, the US lost 67-5. They played with a ton of heart and skill; they did everything right. It's just that they were so woefully outgunned by the Australian team that they couldn't get anywhere.

In countries like Australia, South Africa, New Zealand -- repeat World Cup winning teams -- the very best athletes they have are playing rugby. Kids grow up on the sport, and spend their whole lives dreaming of the World Cup. The average Team USA rugger had never heard of rugby until they hit high school or college, and some coach suggested they try it to stay in shape between football seasons. No, seriously.

We just can't compete at this level. Rugby is a fantastic sport, and if Americans ever embrace it, we'll be unstoppable. Until then, well... at least we got one win this year, against Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment