Monday 26 September 2011

Napier

After a 40 minute flight, and a giant Tongan team rally at Wellington airport, I've arrived at the small seaside town of Napier.

There is well and truly nothing to do here.

Despite the old cabby giving me a history lesson on the drive, and my motel being "nice and close to the city centre," I'm already kind of bored. I went for a stroll and stopped in at the local supermarket, but most things are already closed for the day, it being past 5pm on a Monday. They have a lovely waterfront that I'm sure I'll spend some time walking along, and a museum devoted to the opossum (totally checking that out tomorrow), but that's about it. At least within walking distance.

Because the town is so small, there isn't a single traffic light or controlled crosswalk that I've seen. Since they drive on the left here, that adds a certain danger that I could look the wrong way while crossing the road and get run over by a car. So I guess there's that for excitement.

Despite everything I read ahead indicating that this motel had free wifi, it doesn't. I can't pay for it, I can't get a secret code from the office, I'm just offline for 48 hours. Well, bugger it all.

Oh, yeah, the voice in my head has become Kiwi by now, hadn't you noticed?

So tomorrow I'll wander a bit more and see the last game of my trip, but tonight I'm at a loss for what to do. I guess I'm entertaining myself in this weird little apartment with my meat pie, my bacon flavored potato chips, a rugby match, and some Australian shiraz.

Tonight promises to be veery spishal. A veery spishal night in New Zealand.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment