Sunday 25 September 2011

Rainy Day in Wellington

Wellington is way too small for me to have another full day here. But I do.

I'll attend my second rugby game of the trip tonight, then head up to Napier tomorrow. In the meantime, I've seen pretty much all this place has to offer, but have a wide open schedule until 7 or 8 tonight, when I head to the stadium.

Right now it's raining that drizzly, wet, nonstop, Seattle-style rain. It doesn't look like much, but it soaks you clear through, and I'm not looking forward to going out in it, especially with a forecasted temperature between 35 and 48 degrees for the day. I do have a small umbrella in my pocketbook, I just always forget it's there because I've never used it in Seattle. I've opened it in New York, Copenhagen, and now potentially Wellington. Even so, I'd just rather not.

I hope it dries out before the game tonight, since my high-priced seats are too near the field to be under cover. Ah well, I guess it would make sense to see Scotland play Argentina in good Scottish weather. It just sounds miserable to me.

So now I'm debating whether I need to go out and find some entertainment, but get cold and wet, or be warm and dry, but bored all day. Complicating my debate is the fact that I opted to stay in last night to save money. Instead of going out to pay $20 for dinner and at least $7/beer, I spent around $15 total, having a pot noodle and a cheap bottle of New Zealand wine (Cheeky Little Red), while watching the night's two World Cup matches on TV and playing with my ball.

I should explain. On around day two of my trip, I bought a mini rugby ball, which is nice and squishy, and the right size for my girl hands. When I'm watching matches live, or replays in which I don't know the result and I care who wins, I get a fair amount of nervous energy. Since I'm in a hotel room trying not to yell at the TV or jump up and down (which is what I'd do at home), I grab my mini ball and toss it around while I watch. It uses up that extra energy, and because it's soft, it doesn't hurt when I get distracted and hit myself in the head with it. Which happens more than a few times during a game.

Point is, today I have a bit of cabin fever. And I have nothing to eat besides my instant coffee and a banana.

Crap. Guess I'm going out. Time to watch for a sunbreak, or a fine spell, as they call it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment