Wednesday 21 September 2011

Auckland

Some cities are amazing (New York, London, Toronto), and I will go back time and again with no agenda, just to enjoy their metropolitan charms. But in general I've found that a city is a city, is a city, worldwide.

Yes, a rugby ball-shaped building
As cities go, Auckland is... a city. I didn't find much of interest downtown, except for the widespread rugby mania. I visited the Real New Zealand Festival / Rugby World Cup Fan Zone at Queen's Wharf, bought some extremely overpriced souvenirs, and met a Canadian who lives here now, and was apparently thrilled to meet someone from her part of the world. Our conversation went like this:

Her: "You don't sound like a waddy, where you from?"
Me: "Seattle... erm,  the States."
Her: "Oh really? Do you watch a lot of Frasier? That's what Seattle always makes me think of. I'm Canadian."
Me: "Huh. I've lived in Canada as well, actually, British Columbia."
Her: "That's a good choice on where to live. I'm from Ottawa. It's a very government city. Have you had the 'American hot dogs' here?"
Me: "Um, no, not so far."
Her: "Oh, well if you try them, they're TERRIBLE. They taste bad, and they're grey. My biggest complaint living here is the food...."
From there, she launched into a 5 minute tirade on all the foods she loves in North America, but which suck in New Zealand, while I smiled politely and backed away slowly. Finally she noticed that I was roughly half a block from her and stopped talking.
Me: "Ok, nice to meet you. Have fun at the rugby." [dashing in the opposite direction]

I find this exchange particularly funny because food was the only other thing that impressed me in the Auckland city centre. I discovered that it's possible to have delicious soft, flaky Brit-style scones WITH BACON INSIDE THEM. Who knew?! Now that I do, I will be attempting to make them back home. The standard supermarket cheese and bread here are similar to what you'd get from a specialty shop in the States, the meat actually tastes like it came from a real animal, and the beer and wine are fantastic. Plus I love the humor about it; my favorite food truck downtown was called Banger Brothers, motto: "You'll be much happier with a good sausage inside you."

After spending a few hours wandering the busy streets, eating more than my fill, and getting a slight sunburn (despite SPF 40 and an overcast 60 degree day), I hopped back on the train to my hotel and more rugby replays on the telly.

Late in the afternoon, it occurred to me that I leave Auckland in the morning, and I shouldn't pack it in just yet. I went out walking again, this time several blocks down the main road in front of the hotel. Just like yesterday, I didn't find much, but I did discover that even in New Zealand, guys like to call to me from the windows of passing cars. Ah, well, some things are the same the world over.

When I began getting hit by the odd rain drop, I gave up and came back, just in time to find that Team Samoa is also staying here, and watch them board their bus to practice. Well, I assume it was for practice, since they don't have a match today, but were all in game kit. I then turned on the TV in my room to see a replay of their loss against Wales on Sunday. This trip continues to be surreal.

I'm finishing my day watching a replay of Canada's loss to France in Napier (lots of Canadian supporters in the crowd so I hope to be in good company cheering on our Canuck boys there next week), eating dinner from the hotel restaurant (not bad), drinking an Australian blonde lager or 4 (tastily alcoholic), and getting to bed early so I can wake up for my morning flight to Wellington. It seems a fitting end to my uneventful time here in Auckland.

But that's okay, my trip is only getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment