Saturday 24 September 2011

A Walk in the Woods

This morning I spent a couple of hours away from Wellington, on a small protected reserve called Matiu/Somes Island. Apparently the Maori named the place Matiu, but the Brits called it Somes, so now they've put a slash in between the two (in line with New Zealand's policy of biculturalism) and called it good.

I had to take a small ferry over choppy waters and have my baggage inspected for hidden pests before entering the island, then spent a couple of hours wandering the whole place. Turns out Matiu was originally used as a quarantine for sick humans and animals, but eventually turned into a wildlife reserve for birds, bugs, lizards and plants. I had particularly wanted to make the trip to see the Little Blue Penguin, which has a thriving colony on the island.

Most of my day's view
Turns out most of the day was spent just walking paths through the woods, listening to music. I think it says something fundamental about me that I can't have a day in nature without an electronic device to provide a soundtrack. But props to my ipod for putting Neil Young and the Dears in heavy rotation, which just seemed to fit.
Finally! Sheep!

I never saw any of the lizards or giant bugs, aside from a honeybee or two, but I did come across a few kakariki (a type of parakeet which posed for photos, but always in shadow), some Variable Oystercatchers, and a few unfamiliar small brown birds who looked at me quizzically for a moment before flying directly at my head. I also finally got my chance to see some sheep, kept on the island in service of the live-in park rangers -- the only other mammals in residence.

But no penguins.

Apparently this is breeding season for the penguins, and they spend all of their time literally holed up with their chicks. I saw a few of these little penguin hollows, but we were explicitly told not to disturb the nests. Turns out that if a mama penguin is bothered while nesting, she'll take off and leave everything behind, including any eggs or chicks. So no penguins for me.

View of Wellington from the Island
But it was still quite a nice day, windy though it was. I got a good walk in, and finally feel like I've seen some of the real New Zealand. I even followed the trail right up to the top of the mountainous island, specifically because I figured it was the only summit this urban girl might ever reach.

I'm now back in my room, watching the television replay of last night's game. Since it's Saturday night, I planned to actually go out for dinner and drinks in town, but I'm not sure that will happen. My brother told me how expensive this country is, but even with the warning, I underestimated how much cash to have on hand. I'm spending like crazy, and still have 9 more days to fund. I may be staying in. Harumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment