Sunday 30 May 2010

Reykjavik

Looks like my first day in Reykjavik will be ending early. It's a gorgeous day here, blue sky, a bit of a wind chill, but nothing I'm not used to. The sun is low to the horizon, so it's always in my eyes, and I'm sure I'm already a little sunburned.

So far I've spent some time down by the water near the harbor, and wandered all around the City Center. I'm on foot, so I haven't gone far from my hotel, which is right in the middle of the touristy area. Everyone is friendly, and automatically speaks English when they see me. Am I that obvious?

There's still plenty to see, and wow, are there a lot of bars to visit! It's reminding me a bit of the same type of area in Edinburgh, only here there's no castle looming above it all.

Unfortunately I'm so sleep-deprived that everything's a bit surreal. I'm having trouble taking it all in, and engaging with other humans. Since I have all day tomorrow to explore, I gave in and accepted an early bedtime. I picked up a few groceries -- it's so awesome that I have a mini kitchen in my room -- and I'm back to relax and plan out everything I want to see in my second day here.

More tomorrow... which I hope will make more sense after I've had a good night's sleep and can get my wits about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment