Sunday 16 May 2010

Iceland (I hope)

At long last, it is almost time for me to begin traveling again. This means that right now my stress level is high, and my cash stocks are low, with all the stuff I need to get done before I leave. But two weeks from today, I'll be in Reykjavik, enjoying the first leg of my trip, and making it all worth it... I hope.

Eyjafjallajokull (which is hard to spell, but really fun to say - eye-ya-fya-la-yuh-kul) is doing its best to thwart my trip. I'm not really worried about the eruption itself; I live in the Pacific Ring of Fire, so what do I care? My worries are only around the airport closures which seem to be happening (seriously) every other day at Keflavik.

Odds are high that either my flight will be cancelled, or I'll be rerouted to another small airport and put on a bus for 4 hours into Reykjavik. The former is unacceptable. The latter, I don't really mind. Under normal circumstances, I do my best to avoid bus rides of any length, but it might actually be cool to spend a good chunk of my day looking out the window at Iceland. It's a crazy place -- glaciers, volcanoes, body builders -- who wouldn't want to see it? I just need a window seat. Outta the way, Tourists!

Besides, what's travel without a little adventure? I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I can actually get there somehow. And then get back out...

No comments:

Post a Comment