Monday 27 February 2012

Hotels

I pretty much loathe the nickel-and-dime mentality of so many hotels. Really, £10 for 24 hours of wi-fi? Even the so-called free access in the lobby is controlled by an ever-changing code that the front desk hands out. So now that I’ve checked out, I can’t use it while I wait for the time to catch my train.

Today I’m off to Glasgow, roughly an hour journey by rail. Edinburgh is always nice, despite the craziness of the rugby crowd. The people are very sweet and hospitable, even to the most blatantly clueless tourists. Glasgow, though, I’m not sure ‘nice’ is what I’ll find. From what I hear, Glaswegians are a rowdy bunch. They drink hard and fight hard; even their accents are hard. I’ve also been told they’re wonderful and friendly people, but also that they hate Americans, and would rather draw blood than ask for clarification. So we’ll see which stereotype proves closer to the truth.

Until I can get on my way there, though, I’ll be sitting in the lobby, not having internet access, staring at the wall and listening to the conversations of the dozen or so French people here doing the same.

Sounds like a blast, doesn’t it?

**Update from Glasgow**

No information yet on Glaswegians, but I’m much happier with my hotel, which is by far my favorite chain in Europe; every time I stay here it more than meets my expectations. Free internet AND a copy of the Guardian at my door in the morning? Yes, please! Now that I’m in my happy place, I may just never go out…

Except that I’m hungry, so… Ok, FINE, I’ll wander off and see Glasgow. If I must.

No comments:

Post a Comment