Sunday 26 February 2012

Murrayfield: France v Scotland

I have a real knack for backing losing teams, I’ll tell ya.

This afternoon, I joined the throngs at Murrayfield to see Scotland play a Six Nations rugby match against France. Stymied by the crowd, I was a bit late getting to my seat, so I missed the French anthem, but arrived just as the Scottish refrain was starting. The band on the field played the first half of it, then stopped and just let the crowd sing the rest. The whole stadium full of voices carrying the tune was quite moving. My small, black heart grew three sizes this day.

Then the game started, and I cheered for the home team. For the first 25 minutes, Scotland controlled the game, scoring and converting a quick try. Before long, they were up 10-0. But then they started making errors, which France capitalized on. Mistakes have been Scotland’s undoing in recent matches, and this was no exception. They managed to put forth a tremendous effort, but in the end, they lost 23-17.

I had a fantastic time. The energy in the stadium was amazing, and the overhead announcer made no attempt to appear unbiased. He’d call out Scotland’s score with joy in his voice, and France’s a bit darkly, and with the last minute of play announcement added a comment about Scotland putting up one last push. I dare say that being in the midst of a home crowd was even more electric than the World Cup, despite the lower stakes of a Six Nations game. Although, like the World Cup, there was a streaker who made it all the way across the field wearing nothing but a France flag as a cape.

For the first time in my attending sporting contests alone, no one wanted to chat. Everybody was completely absorbed in the play. Maybe that contributed to me having 4 large Carlings (plus chips w/ gravy) during the 2 hours I was sat there.

To be fair, it wasn’t my fault. Beer and rugby goes together like… erm… beer and Scotland. Or Scotland and rugby. I really had no choice.

At the end of day -- the end of the losing game -- the trip was well worth it. I loved every second of the match, and could easily come back every year.

And I want to bring my brother next time. Because he’s the only other person I know who would get it.

Good game, Scotland. Let’s get ‘em next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment