Sunday 26 February 2012

Edinburgh

Edinburgh is chaos today. I suppose that's to be expected, considering the big Six Nations match happening this afternoon, but just WOW.

The primary reason (read: excuse) for this trip was to see Scotland rugby play at home, so here I am with ticket in hand, getting ready for the faceoff between them and France. Since I already saw pretty much all Edinburgh had to offer on my last trip, I didn't allow myself a great deal of time here; yesterday afternoon and this morning were my only chances to wander.

I slept later than planned today due to the acceptance that I've come down with a cold, then set out to The Royal Mile. It's a giant tourist fiasco up by the castle, but I figured that would be the best spot to pick up additional items I could use in support of the team today. I ultimately got a small flag to wave and a blue poncho (in case it does rain as predicted), but only after fighting my way through the sea of French supporters. Backers of team France are out in droves, singing, donning flags, and even playing the anthem on a french horn from a car window. The game will be lively, if nothing else.

As for me, I have a sinus headache, and this trip has done my back in. Since feet are my only mode of transport, and I love wandering cities, I tend to walk for a couple of hours at a time without stopping, then I sit down and can't get back up. The increased fragility of the area around my spine is my least favorite part of getting older. Needless to say, I am not amused.

I've just stopped back in the hotel (where I appear to be the only guest who doesn't speak French), to eat a quick lunch and get into my gear for the game. My only hope is that a handful of ibuprofen and the excitement of rugby will make me feel better.

C'MON SCOTLAND!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment