Friday 23 April 2010

The Water Cooler

Being dead inside, I always have to keep an eye on the "social interaction" portion of my work day, and not just get right down to business all the time. Apparently people like to chat. Since How's it going? is pretty lame and impersonal, I try to mix it up: How was your weekend? or Did you do anything fun for Flag Day? When possible, I customize it to the individual: Are you getting excited for your vacation? or How'd your dog's birthday party turn out?

Because of just such efforts to make small talk, I had the following real life conversation yesterday. It was only one small piece of a long and serious  e-mail discussion on a technical solution, with a person I only barely know, but it just about made my whole day. I had to share.

Me: How’s life in the new cube?

Co-Worker: It’s ok, but a little dungeon-y. On a positive note, I am right next to the ‘Dance Floor’, though, so when I feel like doing the Macarena all I have to do is walk a few feet.

Me: I hope you don’t have too many sudden urges to do the Macarena, or recreate any other short-lived dance crazes, because that would really interfere with your productivity. Plus, people might look at you funny.

Co-Worker: I can say unequivocally that I have never had an urge to do the Macarena, even when it was the craze. I’m more of an Achy Breaky Heart kind of guy. (Wasn’t that just about the most horrible craze of all?)

Me: You’re right. That was the most horrible dance craze. His mullet made my heart too achy breaky to participate in any dancing.

Who says IT people are boring?
Oh, right, I do. Well. My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment