Sunday 4 April 2010

The Butcher Shop

Ok, I may be food obsessed. I'm working on my issues. But really. Is there anything better than slow cooked meat?

When Chef Academy began airing, I sat in a hotel room in Gaithersburg, Maryland, watching Chef Novelli challenge his new students to produce their "signature dish," but he only gave them an hour... or was it 90 minutes? Either way, I was not impressed. I burst out, "There's no WAY I could do that! All my best dishes take HOURS to cook; most involve braising or slow roasting!" I don't often put hours of effort in, but the process takes that long regardless.

Of course, as a reformed vegetarian, foodie, and total glutton, I'm also picky about where my meat comes from. Because I can't buy any non-factory-farmed meat in stores around here (not even the 'natural' or 'organic' ones), I'm really happy that Bill the Butcher is opening a shop much closer to me. It will be nice to not have to pay for shipping from New Jersey to get meats that are good for my health, the animals, and the earth. Although I may continue to do so, because where else can I get duck bacon?

Anyway.

Last week I found myself with a beautiful big cut off the rump of a cow that spent its whole life happily in a pasture, munching on grass. Of course, 4 pounds of beef is a lot for one broad to consume on her own, so I cut it in half to get some variety. I made the first hunk brisket style, spicy and sweet with a lovely brown crust, and the second half I braised in red wine with some mushrooms, shallots, etc. Both were fantastic -- tasty and tender, and gave me days of versatile leftovers. Mmmm... I think I'll go heat some up now...

Because there's just nothing better than slow cooked meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment