Saturday 17 April 2010

In Front of the Television

Dear American TV Networks,

PLEASE show more regular season hockey.

Thanks,
Girl 2

Seriously. I had seen a few live games because I knew boys in high school who played, but I first started really watching hockey when I was a junior in college. At that time, ESPN2 showed a game or two every night, and I always tuned in. By the time I moved to British Columbia for grad school, I was hooked. I watched as many games as possible at home -- usually one or two a day, just with basic cable -- and shelled out the cash to see it live at GM Place a few times a season as well.

It only got nerdier from there. I subscribed to The Hockey News. My credit card had my favorite team's logo on it. I was an expert on every team and player in the NHL. I would've kicked some ass in fantasy hockey. I didn't, though, because I already beat my ex at Playstation hockey 90% of the time; I didn't think his ego could take me dominating his fantasy league as well.

But that was Canada. When I moved back to the States, I found out that if you don't have a team in your hometown, which I don't, hockey on TV was rare. I didn't have the cash to shell out for special NHL cable packages, so apart from catching a game here and there, like the fantastic moment where my boy Midget finally hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup, I stopped paying attention to hockey altogether. It was all TV's fault!

This year I realized how much I missed my old favorite sport, and started trying to follow the NHL again, despite American Television's attempts to thwart me. Now that all 3 of my teams are in the playoffs, their games are finally being shown and I'm in hockey heaven.

So why can't I be here all year long? Come on, American TV, work with me... make my friends hockey widows the year round. I'd really appreciate it. Even if no one else would.

No comments:

Post a Comment