Saturday 10 April 2010

Veronica Sawyer High

It's sad but true: high school goes on forever. Whether it's work, your social circle, it's all the same crap -- just drunker and saggier. At least I'm finally one of the Cool Kids!

Although, I guess if Heathers taught us anything, it's that being pretty and popular isn't necessarily the very best thing for you. But it will get you a hot boyfriend like 80s Christian Slater... Wait. I'm off topic.

Point is, even now, everybody's trying their hardest to fit into the right crowd, as if their lives depend on it. Rio and I each have an elite list of 'gay boyfriends,' with only five positions each, coveted by boys near and far. At the bar, we have an entourage; Marcus jokes that before he has even met some new hot guy, we've adopted him. Beyond that are a whole host of hangers-on at the fringe, hoping that one day we'll accept them. And the tragedies? Erm... maybe they can start an Audio-Visual Club?

Yesterday morning as I was getting ready for work, a truth popped into my head: I'm going to disband the gay boyfriend network. It's stupid, and it doesn't mean anything. I'm over it. Today I asked Rio if this would cause some sort of disturbance in the force, and she just shrugged. So there we go. I started it, and now I finish it.

My husbands, Neal and Ryan, have earned their titles and places in my heart with their own merit. Chris will always be a little bit my boyfriend, but the whole system? Pointless. It's juvenile, and reminds me of the insecurities of high school when we all had to promise that we loved one friend more than another, or get the silent treatment for days.

I'm not saying I'm all that mature, but this particular thing just seems stupid to me. Over the last couple of years, I've been taking stock of what's important in my life, and it's about the people who matter to me, not a rank. As Gabe put it, "We're friends. You want to assign a number or not, that's fine, but either way we're friends.That's what matters to me."

Amen, brother.

1 comment: