Sunday 16 January 2011

Party Central

There are definitely things I like about my trip so far. The weather is mid-70s, warm and sunny, but not humid. That means I can dress normally without constantly shvitzing, and my often large hair is behaving itself. The resort has lots of choices for anything I could possibly need, and the service is fantastic. What I don't enjoy is the constant party atmosphere.

It's only quiet here between about 1 and 8am. Although I may not act like it, I'm almost 35, and in some ways I'm old. This resort is full of drunk 20-somethings looking for a chance to act as stupid as humanly possible. I'm almost never up for that anymore. And, funny thing, since I medicated myself so well for the flight, I forgot that I was coming down with a cold. My body made me remember this morning. It puts me in even less of a let's-all-get-shitfaced-and-woooo kind of mood.

Despite the noise, I managed to sleep until almost noon. By the time I got out of bed, my nose was fully clogged and my eyes were so puffy and black from sinus pressure that I almost looked like I'd lost a fight. The desk clerk told me at check-in that all of the football playoffs would be shown in the sports bar, which made me happy at the time. Now that the Seahawks game is in full swing, though, I have no desire to watch it with a crowd of boozers.* I just want to take lots of cold medicine, drink coffee, sit in the shade, and try to feel human. So far, it's working. By later this afternoon, maybe I'll be ready to resume my plan of lazing around on the beach or by the pool, but right now, I can't deal with the wild and crazy all around me. It puts a bit of a damper on my vacation.

At least I have a couple more days to get over this and get my coping skills back. Under normal circumstances, I can easily ignore the partiers and enjoy my relaxation. And really, I'd much rather be sick here than back in the cold Seattle rain.

At least it's a start.


*Due to limited wifi availability, this is being posted long after I wrote it. I suppose that means I can mention that I did end up watching the last few minutes of the game, which was clearly the part most worth seeing in that sad showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment