Wednesday 24 February 2010

NOT on a yacht

So, way back when I was using MySpace as my blog outlet, I wrote the following in a post, dated 05 Sep 2008:

While Gabe was in town this summer, we spent a lot of drunken time putting together The List. Every time we got together, we'd recap, add to it, and curse that we never managed to write it down. There was a soggy bar napkin with a lot of writing on it, but I can't help but think that it ended up in Gabe's dryer vent.

The List is a running inventory of all the qualities that make a man completely un-dateable. Some of them are serious issues that we know prevent good relationships for us (eg. Too stupid to hold a conversation, or Has a singular passion that rules his whole life), but most are just visible signs of douchebaggery that help us know who to avoid (eg. Superman tattoo, white sunglasses, necklaces/chains)....

As far as I knew, this was an original concept. I'd never even heard the word "undateable" before we started using it. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that someone else has written our book and become rich and famous, while we were busy being too drunk and lazy to capitalize on our wit.

Next month you'll be able to purchase Undateable: 311 Things Guys Do That Guarantee They Won't Be Dating or Having Sex, which is written by two people who clearly are not me and Gabe, but who -- exactly like us -- list out myriad bad moves by men, such as soul patches and wearing pleated khaki shorts. It includes many of the same dealbreakers that we came up with, but without the extra special perspective a straight woman and gay man combine to produce on each faux pas. Even worse, I read that a month after its release, the book will be turned into a VH1 mini-series as well.

But we're not bitter. No, we're already busy chugging zinfandel by the bottle and coming up with our next big idea. Just you wait, World!

No comments:

Post a Comment