Monday 22 February 2010

Lands of Confusion

During my next trip to Europe, I'll be visiting 6 different countries, none of which speak English as their national language. I don't really want to be an obnoxious American tourist who assumes every country will accommodate me by becoming fluent in English, but I also know that I won't learn six languages in the next three months. I'm not spending enough time in each place to put in that sort of effort. Besides, I just can't be bothered.

As a happy medium, I've decided to narrow it down to 15 useful words or phrases, which I'll just have to memorize in 6 different forms. Here they are, with one example of the translation I'll be attempting to learn.

Good & Useful Things
  • Do you speak English? - Talar pu ensku? (Icelandic)
  • I don't understand - Jag forstar inte (Swedish)
  • Go away - Forsvinn (Norwegian)
  • Airport - Flugvollur (Icelandic)
  • Train - tog (Danish)
  • Police Office - politiebureau  (Flemish)
  • Exit/Way Out - Utgang (Norwegian)
  • Pork - flask (Swedish)
  • Coffee - koffie (Dutch)
  • Beer - fadol (Danish)
  • Shoe shop - skoaffar (Swedish)

Things to Avoid
  • No entry - geen toegang (Dutch)
  • Prohibited - Forbudt (Norwegian)
  • Seafood - skaldjur (Swedish)
  • Alcohol-free - alcoholvrije (Flemish)
Unfortunately my phrasebooks don't contain other necessary tidbits like I'm just not that into you or I have to go now... you know, early squash game. Guess I'll have to rely on mime.

No comments:

Post a Comment