Wednesday 3 March 2010

Cosmic Court

On my way home tonight, I narrowly missed getting into a car wreck. I was cruising along, under the bright sunshine, in totally unobstructed view, when an SUV pulled out of a parking lot to turn left in front of me. Luckily I could see him in time and had space to swerve and stop, so when he finally saw me and hit the brakes, we ended up just inches from each other. I turned to the driver and put up my hands as if to say, "WTF, dude?!" He returned a blank look, backed out of my way, waited for me to go past, and barrelled out in front of the car behind me without looking.

How is it that these people can go around being reckless and stupid, and manage to live through their lives? I can't say I'm not guilty of bad decisions; at times in my life I've been a member of the Bad Decision Royal Family, but I usually take a lot of care in situations where life and death are involved. These people need to have consequences for their stupid actions, but without harming others. I mean, that SUV would've knocked my car halfway across the road, and he probably would've been fine. That's just not serving the purpose; it doesn't teach him anything.

I remember an episode of Red Dwarf (shut up, at least I'm a cute nerd) in which the crew landed in a place of pure justice. If you steal someone's wallet, your wallet goes missing. You try to set a car on fire, your car goes aflame. I think we need a cosmic version of this for idiocy. Do something stupid, something stupid happens to you.

Ok, obviously it doesn't translate directly. I'm going to have to figure out more of the details before implementation. I suppose I still have a couple weeks to work on it, since I don't control the universe. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment