Monday 22 March 2010

The Kitchen

I've decided to skip all the news and opinion on national health care for the moment, and instead have been O.D-ing on Food Blogs. One of my favorites is the Voltaggio Brothers, written by the winning and running-up siblings of Top Chef fame.

While I quite enjoy Bryan and Michael's devotion to the home gourmet, and read their blog daily, I can't say I truly relate. I love to cook good food, and love to eat it even more, but my home cooking is significantly more... let's say... rustic than what you see being discussed and encouraged on the Voltaggio site.

I am totally obsessive about my food quality and origins. As much as possible, I use whole ingredients, and eat nothing processed. I research the farming practices of local producers before buying their meat, and get a bi-weekly delivery of sustainably grown organic produce.* I think about food more often than the average male thinks about sex. Which is a whole lot. Seriously.

But I can't say I've ever thought much about the presentation of my food. And truth be told, if there are more than a few steps or courses involved in putting together a home-cooked meal, I'll pass. There are exceptions where it's worth it, of course (one day I'll post my bacon-topped baked macaroni and cheese recipe), but my perfect meal has high quality ingredients, makes my mouth orgasmically happy, and cooks in one pot... preferably while I sit in the next room and catch up on No Reservations.

I thought about my effort not matching my level of food obsession yesterday, while enjoying the delicious curry and sweet potato shepherd's pie I made for dinner. It wasn't pretty, but damn was it good. Had I been cooking for friends at a party, I might have put each portion into an individual ramekin, just for the sake of ease at dinnertime, and less of a mess in serving.

But really, when it comes down to it, this is me plating.

It's on a plate. It even has a nicely paired glass of petite sirah to the side.

What, you want more? Sigh. Needy.

My point is, I have the greatest admiration for the chefs, both amateur and professional, whose creations are both visually and gastronomically incredible. I wish I had their patience. And their artistic style. But I don't.

I probably will never have either. After an upbringing of spaghetti and tacos, I don't have much of a "culinary background." But thanks to a little bit of the Food Network and a whole lot of James Barber during grad school, I'm a hell of a cook. My food tastes good. So maybe that's enough.

Even if it's not, I'm settling for it. And enjoying every bite.

*We'll save the Food versus Industrially Produced Garbage rant for another time. Or never. Sometimes even I get bored of my preaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment