Sunday 25 November 2012

O2 Arena - Robbie Williams

The concert ended over two hours ago, but I'm still wide awake. I'm just buzzing.

I'd like to repeat OMG! OMG! ROBBIE WILLIAMS! OMG! SO AMAZING! I CAN'T BELIEVE I FINALLY GOT TO SEE HIM LIVE! but I won't, because I am a serious adult woman.

And a total Robbie fan girl.

Having been a huge appreciator of the man's music for nearly 15 years, I've seen all the live videos and heard every concert record. I knew Rob could put on a show. So when he announced a concert at the O2 on a night that I'd already be in London, I dutifully hit refresh on my browser at 1am (9am BST, you see) until I got the pleasure of spending hundreds of dollars on a seat at the show. Not that I sat down for even a second once it started.

The concert was 2 hours of brilliance. I expected a lot, knowing what a showman Robbie can be, but being there in person is an experience far better than anything that can be captured by recording equipment. I danced, I sang, I cheered, and when Mr. Williams told me to put my hands up, you can be damn sure that I did! The Arena is fairly large, and it was obvious that the people in the very top row were just as engaged as those near me in the lower seats, and the ones pressed against the barrier beneath the stage. We were all loving it. And that's what makes Robbie a star.

On the way out of the show, nearly every conversation I overheard was about how happy folks are that our Rob, having been through all he has, is doing so well personally and is now back on top professionally. I heard the word "proud" a lot, and even more often, "he really deserves it." That's something I love about the British. Sure, it may be a biased sample at the concert, but I couldn't imagine Americans being so supportive if one of their icons had been through rehab twice and nearly fallen into musical oblivion... no matter how much they claimed to be a fan.

Tonight was a concert like no other. I'd love to see Robbie again, but given his lack of popularity stateside, this may have been my only chance. Luckily I ordered the live recording of tonight's show, and since it was also televised, I'm guessing there will be a DVD at some point, so at least I'll have ways to relive this one night in the future.

Until then, I need to find a way to get some sleep. When's it gonna stop, DJ, cause you're keeping me up all night...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment