Saturday 4 September 2010

An Unfamiliar Island

Apparently I need to relax. I move way too fast for Hawaii.

I've been here for approximately 4 hours, and haven't made it to the beach yet. After my delayed flight and 90 minutes of airport and shuttle madness to get here, all I wanted was a sandwich and a beer, but then I noticed that football was on. Watching the WSU Cougars get trounced by Oklahoma State was so riveting that I took brief nap.

Even after that and a couple of local micros, I still get the sense that I'm in way too much of a hurry.

Throughout my flight, I'd occasionally lift the window shade and take a glance at my surroundings; there was nothing to be seen but clouds and water, every time. I am unquestionably in a far away land. However, looking out at the scenery as the plane landed, the rolling hills and tracts of suburban housing were strangely familiar. It was like flying into...well, Idaho. When I got out of the airport, though, it was very clear how different this place really is. Aside from the palm trees and pit-stain inducing humidity, no one seems to have the ability to move above a speed of 0. They all want to stroll, and chat, and take their time. Even the wi-fi is painfully lackadaisical. I hate it. This one goes to 11!

That being said, I'm going to retire to my balcony (evidently they call it a lanai here, despite it being a standard hotel room balcony with a couple of plastic chairs), and ingest a couple of chill pills. Maybe it will help. Let's just hope I don't overdose and get so slow that I go back in time and erase my own existence...

No comments:

Post a Comment