Saturday 28 September 2019

So Long, and Thanks for All the Haggis

It's my last morning in Glasgow, which I'm spending in my hotel room with the Rugby World Cup on TV, before embarking on an excessively long journey to see some of it myself in Japan. You might be wondering why I'm in Glasgow on my way to Japan... it's not exactly a convenient stop en route. Well, it's because of Still Game, one of my favourite TV shows of all time.

Quite some time ago, the Still Game stars and writers announced that they'd be ending the TV series, and would put on one last live show to close it all out. But since I had to apply for my for RWC tickets more than a year in advance, I was already booked to be in Japan at the same time they'd be doing the show here in Glasgow. So I accepted my fate of missing it.

Then the final episode aired. And I couldn't bear the thought of that being it. The moment it ended, I got online and looked for a way to see the live show. I found that if I got a ticket to opening night and flew out the next day, I could just barely make it to my first game on the other side of the world. So I did it, paid too much for a ticket because all the normally priced ones were sold out, booked a flight, and got excited.

Of course, that was far from the last of the changes to my RWC travel plans, but more on that another time.


So here I am, the morning after the big show. Still Game: The Final Farewell last night was pure joy: fun, and so funny, and such a great way to say goodbye to the show. I am so glad I came for it, despite all the extra travel. I can't imagine how I'd feel having missed it. It's sad thinking there won't be any more new content from those folks, but I know I'll forever keep watching the hours and hours of excellence they've already provided.

And Still Game isn't all I'm saying my farewell to in this visit. Much as I love Scotland, I can't keep making excuses to come here multiple times a year, when I have so many other places I haven't been yet. Yes, I've said this before. And no, I can't call it the final farewell, as I'm sure I'll have reasons to return... I'm just no longer going to use the I'm going to Edinburgh, just because Embra excuse.

I guess it helps that I've never had much (any) affinity for Glasgow as a city, so it's not like I'm looking around wistfully as I pack my bags this morning. Nope, I feel good about the run I've had with this most beautiful and charming of countries, and know it will always be with me.

And I'm so ready to go hang out in rugby land... let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment