Tuesday 26 February 2013

Edinburgh. Again.

I'm a bit late writing this, seeing as I left Edinburgh nearly 24 hours ago, but it could still use a brief recap.

When I first visited Edinburgh -- maybe 3 or 4 years ago, don't remember -- I liked it, but figured I wouldn't be back. I enjoy Scotland's capital city, I just don't tend to return to places a lot unless I have a good reason.

Turns out rugby is the reason.

I've been following rugby union, particularly the Six Nations tournament, and backing Team Scotland, since I discovered the sport in the 90s. (Which is incidentally the last time Scotland won 6 Nations... 5 Nations at the time.) I never dreamed that I'd be sitting in the pouring rain of Wellington at the World Cup cheering them on in 2011, but I was there. And when I came to Edinburgh last year to see them play a Six Nations match at home... even better.

So I returned to Murrayfield this year, for the Scotland v Ireland match... which our boys in blue won, 12-8! I felt especially good about the win because I've never gotten to see Scotland win a rugby match in person. Well, they dominated an exhibition against Team USA that I attended long ago, but not a real, counts in a tourney match.

It also occurred to me that I've now been to Edinburgh three times, over at least that many years, and I've never seen it not under construction. I'm already calling this an annual rugby trip, although I won't necessarily go to a home game every Six Nations... so maybe by the next time I visit Edinburgh, the tram will be finished and I'll see the city in a new light.

No matter what, I'll keep backing blue, and flying wherever their games take me... Murrayfield and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment