Sunday 15 January 2012

The Resort

Well, forcing myself not to plan worked, to a certain extent. I feel much more relaxed now than I did this morning.

I ended up spending 5 or 6 hours today lounging around the resort. I read by the pool… and on the beach… and on my balcony. I ate a couple plates of delicious Mexican food, and drank several beers. And I spent less than an hour online.

I also passed some time watching the Golden Globes red carpet and waiting to get hungry for dinner. Even though I always eat at buffets in these resorts, dinner can be particularly awkward because they actually sit you at a table and pour drinks for you. Most people hate eating by themselves… OK, most people hate doing anything by themselves, but meals are the worst. I don't mind it -- solo is my most comfortable state -- but the hosts always seem confused to be seating me alone, and all the other diners look at me with confusion, or occasionally pity. I don't mind, I spend the whole time judging them for the immense piles of food they're shoving in their gobs.

On the way back from dinner, I met some nice older folks from Saskatchewan. As the 4 of them boarded the elevator ahead of me, I said something witty like, "Is there room for one more? Oh great, and you already pressed the button for my floor!" One of them replied with, "Are you from Canada?"

Shit, my accent really is coming back.

Anyway. Now that I'm fed, I'll grab some ice and spend the rest of the evening enjoying the contents of my liquor dispenser and the 2 or 3 English-language programs that appear on my television.

Sure, the resort has several bars, a disco, and a stage show that I could visit tonight. But I'm here to relax, not roll my eyes at a poor musical production or watch drunken tourists do the electric slide.

It may sound terrible to everyone else out there, but to me, it's a perfect vacation. It may take me a minute to settle in, but I'm sure when I leave, it will be much too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment