Sunday 6 November 2011

Eugene O'Neill Theatre: The Book of Mormon

We're back at the hotel for a break after having a fantastic lunch at Marea and seeing The Book of Mormon. I think Steve's tired of me, and I'm just tired in general.

Marea was amazing, and was really a fancy place. I resisted the urge to take photos of my food, but Steve and Jay didn't. Maybe I was too busy stuffing my face. I'm starting to get a little hungry again now, a few hours later, but don't want to put anything less perfect into my stomach after that meal. We got the 2 course Sunday lunch, so I started with grilled octopus over smoked potatoes, pickled red onion, chilies and tonnato, then had their prime sirloin with bone marrow panzanella and braised romaine. So tasty!

We walked off the meal by hustling down to the theatre for The Book of Mormon. Since we arrived in New York, Steve has been bragging to everyone that we had tickets to the show, and they all told me how wonderful it was, how it would change my life, how my mind would be BLOWN.

But I'm me, so I listened politely to their praise and didn't get my hopes up, didn't set myself up for disappointment. It was a great show, dare I say it was a fantastic show? But my mind is still intact.

The best thing about The Book of Mormon is that it deals with some very serious subject matter, like religion and the tragedy of life for many Africans, with humor, but still manages to be very poignant and sweet in some ways. It's really, REALLY funny, and the whole cast does a fantastic job. It also had lots of Lion King jokes that I didn't get, and most of the cursing was totally gratuitous, just to make sure people knew it came from those South Park guys.

I think Steve's irritated with me for saying it's just a great show, which is blasphemy to him. But I was irritated with him for saying we should leave the Habs game early last night, because that's blasphemy to me. So I would definitely recommend The Book of Mormon to anyone, even the non-Broadway types like me. I really enjoyed it, it is truly a great show. But only the truly theatre-obsessed will lose their shit over it. Just like me and my hockey team.

No comments:

Post a Comment