Tuesday 9 November 2010

Back in Seattle

After 16 hours of dealing with shuttles, planes, and airports, it's the little things that make me happy. Like landing at Gate A6, which is far and away the best place to pull into SeaTac Airport. When you walk off the plane, the exit is maybe 30 yards directly to your left. It dumps you out right next to a rarely busy set of bathrooms, and the escalators to baggage claim. It's even at the end of the building that allows a quick pop out to the smoking section, if you are so inclined. It seriously limited my hassle factor when arriving back in Seattle last night.

Beyond that, however, I was not thrilled to be back. Seattle seems even more small and empty, more unlike a city, than it already did.

If only I had done more with my last day in New York. I know it's the city that never sleeps, but I'm too old for that shit stuff. Every night we were out late, every morning we got up in the actual am hours, and all day was spent walking blocks and blocks. I just got worn out. In the early part of the day before Steve left, he and I had a great brunch at Smith's, grabbed a shake at the Shake Shack, took a look at Grand Central Station, and wandered through a street market. After he left, I headed up to Morningside Heights to take a look around, planning to head back to down to the Lower East Side afterward and visit Jesse's favorite NY hangout.

With the subway nonsense going on that day, though, it took almost an hour to go the 60 blocks from Rockefeller to Central Park North. I spent a bit of time wandering around the Morningside Heights area -- which reminds me of Seattle, but the things I like about Seattle, such as pretty old buildings and tree-lined streets -- and by the time I was on my way back downtown, it was dinnertime, I was tired, and my knees hurt. All I wanted was a lamb rice and to put my feet up for a minute.

I grabbed my takeaway dinner and stopped in at the hotel, just to take my shoes off and check the football score, promising myself I'd go back out again. I didn't move, and 3 hours later I was in bed for the night.

The next morning left me no time to do anything but catch my airport shuttle, so that was my goodbye to New York. The city may have beaten me with exhaustion this time, but I loved every minute of it. I'll be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment