Sunday 31 October 2010

Hallowedding

I spent last night in Portland, because I was invited to the wedding of a girl I was best friends with growing up, but who I hadn't seen in about 15 years.


My camera's memory card died as soon as I showed up, and
this was the best my phone could get. Weird Halloween mojo?

It was a very dark and silly ceremony, but a lot of fun. The theme was Halloween, and everyone was encouraged to show up in costumes. I thought about bringing a "date" with me, but then decided I'd go solo, maybe make friends with some of the other Halloweddingers. Halloweddies? No, Hallowedians. I'm going with Hallowedians.*

I went for the easy costume, dressing up my black Marilyn Monroe dress with some tall platform heels and a sparkled/feathered masquerade mask. I looked totally out of place. Most of my fellow Hallowedians were decked out in serious costumes with crazy makeup, all cliqued up together, and taking this as a usual Saturday night with the gang. Me? Not so much.

Just as I was about to give up and go find the nearest gay bar, a few folks came by and said hello to me. As we chatted, another couple joined and introduced themselves. I had found my gang.

After the ceremony, dinner, drinks, and a reunion with the bride and her mom, I was finished with the scene. As I said goodbye to one of my new pals, he pointed out that it was only 10pm and I shouldn't waste the night by going back to my hotel so early. But what could we do? Well, luckily for us, one of his friends was having a house party that I could accompany him to. 

Half an hour later, I was in a random suburban neighborhood of Vancouver, Washington, standing in the garage, holding a big red cup full of vodka and orange juice. Everyone was perfectly nice, but they were also very typical Vancouver peeps. They reminded me of everyone I knew growing up. They reminded me why I moved away and had no desire to go back.

When all was said and done, I woke up with a headache and a serious case of sleep deprivation, happy to get on the freeway. There are few places that make me long to be back in Seattle, but that was one of them. The wedding was a good time and I'm happy that I went, but now... I'm definitely glad to be home.

*Pronounced Ha-Lo-Wee-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment