Monday 2 August 2010

Niagara Falls

The trip to Niagara Falls today went much more smoothly than my drive yesterday, and would've been well worth the traffic, had it not.

I can only speak for the Canadian side, but I imagine the US version of Niagara is the same: one giant tourist trap. Everywhere I turned, someone was eager to relieve me of the burden of my cash. Just parking my car cost me an excessively long line-up and $16. But wow, the falls were amazing. The city of Niagara Falls, Ontario? I could've skipped it, but I was hungry, and there was a Tim Horton's. Anyway. The Falls.

Because of where I left my car, I got to walk from the top of the Falls around to an area overlooking the bottom. From the top you'd barely know a giant drop is coming. As you get closer, the rapids speed up, then the actual falls create so much mist that even far above them you get damp. Although, considering how hot it was today, I didn't really mind all the spritzing. Finally, at the bottom, the water becomes totally calm again, as if nothing had ever happened.

I may be biased, water-oriented human being that I am, but I thought it was pretty damn awesome. The photos can't do it justice, but I took a ton anyway. It just seemed necessary.


And no, I didn't see any newlyweds. I did see some Amish folks, though. Made me wonder how they got there. (Amish families not pictured)

No comments:

Post a Comment