Saturday 19 February 2011

My Calgary Mini-Break

I need to realize that I'm on vacation.

I've been working nonstop for the last 2 weeks, and just finished 2 extremely long days. When I got up at 6 this morning and headed to the airport, it just seemed like more work. A few airport hassles ad a short jaunt over the Rockies later, I'm here in Calgary. But I haven't relaxed yet. As excited as I am about my reason for coming here, it hasn't hit me yet. I feel like I should be doing something, but I don't know what.

At the same time, I definitely don't feel like I'm in Seattle anymore. While Calgary is the Texas of Canada -- cowboys, oil, everything spread out -- it looks more like Eastern Washington. Just significantly colder. There's frozen snow everywhere, including ground into the pavement in the parking lot outside. The high temperature today is expected to be around 4 degrees. Fahrenheit. It was just below zero when we landed. It's not the kind of cold that I'm used to, where it takes a few minutes to hit and chills you slowly, it's the kind that makes you want to go directly back inside when you walk out the door and stays long after you come back in. Luckily tomorrow is supposed to be closer to 20, and I have plenty of layers for spending a few hours outdoors at the hockey game.

To make matters more difficult, my hotel is off in the suburbs, and there's not much within walking distance. I can see the stadium from my window, but there's a highway in between, and I have no idea how I'll get there. I'm not sure I'm ready to wander off and get lost on this frigid Saturday afternoon.

So I guess I'll curl up here, enjoy being back in Canada, and figure out what to do with myself. Maybe it will finally start to feel like I'm taking a few days away. Maybe. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment